Springbank Off-stream Reservoir (Elbow River Basin)
The project will help control Elbow River flow rates during a flood and help protect residents and property in Rocky View County and Calgary.
This option would temporarily store flood water and release it back to the Elbow River in a controlled manner when the flood subsides.
Estimated flood mitigation impact
The peak flow rate of the Elbow River entering Glenmore Reservoir was approximately 1,240 cubic metres per second during the June 2013 flood.
City of Calgary officials indicate a flow rate of 180 cubic metres per second can be accommodated along the Elbow River downstream from the Glenmore Reservoir without taking flood precautions, like sandbagging.
- The Alberta Government has retained Stantec Consulting for the design and engineering, and Environmental Impact Assessment.
- Discussion with landowners is underway and will continue throughout the process
- The Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for this project is underway. You can learn more about the EIA for this project by reading the Terms of Reference (PDF, 21 pages)
- You can learn more about this project by reading the Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 2 pages) or emailing questions or comments to email@example.com
- View the latest project perimeter map (PDF, 1 page)
- A conceptual animation of this project is available on our YouTube page
- Public engagement is also underway. Details on scheduled open house events are below. You can also view the materials presented at open house events (PDF, 36 pages)
2015 Open House Events
There are no open house events scheduled at this time. Check back later this spring for information on future events,