Collaboration defines 10-year Alberta Sport Plan
System-wide collaboration will make Alberta a national leader in sport. That’s the commitment and vision in Going the Distance: The Alberta Sport Plan 2014-2024.
From consultation to implementation, the Alberta Sport Plan takes a collaborative approach to make Alberta a national leader in sport and realize the positive impact of sport on people and communities.
“Competition belongs on the track, the court and the rink. Only by working together can we make Alberta a national leader in sport and realize the positive impact of sport on people and communities. This new Alberta Sport Plan will be our guide.”
“This renewed commitment to improve both participation and performance by Alberta athletes is welcome. Already, the new Sport Plan has gained positive response from stakeholders anxious to pursue fresh challenges.”
The renewed Sport Plan is based on eight months of consultation through a provincial sport forum, regional meetings and an online survey that attracted 4,807 responses. The draft plan received further input from almost 400 Albertans.
Sport Plan Highlights
Co-ordinate efforts and activities to:
- promote the value of sport;
- align and co-ordinate across sports and other sectors;
- build capacity at all levels of sport;
- develop creative solutions to societal changes and trends; and,
- improve accountability.
Collaborate to grow and develop Alberta’s sport system by:
- ensuring support and delivery agencies function at their best;
- reviewing funding models for an adaptive and responsive system;
- sharing ideas, skills, strengths, competencies and practices;
- accommodating urban, rural and demographic diversity;
- reducing barriers in facilities and investing in infrastructure; and,
- attracting sport events and supporting host communities
- Stakeholders will develop action plans to align new and existing actions.
- Alberta Sport Connection to develop an action plan for government and lead the funding model review.
Sport has the power to build character, build community, build health and build Alberta. Under the Building Alberta Plan, our government is investing in families and communities, living within our means, and opening new markets for Alberta's resources to ensure we're able to fund the services Albertans told us matter most to them. We will continue to deliver the responsible change Albertans voted for.
Editor’s Note: Media are invited to call Dr. Richard Starke for an interview on Going the Distance: The Alberta Sport Plan 2014-24. Calls will be accepted at 780-916-6766, from 9:30 to 10 a.m., Friday, July 25.