Ammy Awards celebrate exceptional visitor service
Albertans who achieved excellence in visitor service were recognized with Ammy Awards in Grande Prairie on September 16.
The Ammy Awards, named after Alberta's official gemstone ammolite, recognize the importance of Visitor Information Centres to Alberta's $7.8 billion tourism industry.
“Our Visitor Information Centres and their dedicated staff are critical factors in our international reputation as a great tourist destination. Thousands of travellers stop by the centres each year, and being assisted by enthusiastic and knowledgeable people encourages them to extend their stay and return for another visit.”
2013 Ammy Award Recipients
Best in Class - Hiring & Training
- Edmonton Tourism was recognized for its ongoing training in customer service.
Sheila Dejesus, Camrose Visitor Information Centre
Best in Class -Travel Counseling
- Sheila Dejesus was recognized for her dedication and passion in delivering excellent customer service, including learning greetings in several languages.
Kyran McKee, Crowsnest Pass Chamber of Commerce
Best in Class - Leaders in Visitor Information Centre Management
- Kyran McKee demonstrated leadership in the face of adversity during this spring's flooding in southern Alberta.
Camrose Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Information Centre
Best in Class - Marketing, Communications & Revenue Generation
- The Camrose Visitor Information Centre created new revenue streams that also showcased Camrose attractions and talent.
CrossIron Mills, Balzac Visitor Information Centre
Best in Class - Visitor Services
- Visitors benefit from the partnerships created with hotels, tour operators, retailers, mall administration and guest services.
* Millet Museum and Visitor Information Centre
* Stony Plain & District Visitor Information Centre
Best in Class - Visitor Facilities & Amenities
- The Millet Museum and Visitor Information Centre piloted the Visitor Friendly Alberta: A guide to welcoming tourists to your community created by Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation.
- The ongoing improvements of the Stony Plain & District Visitor Information Centre are setting the standard for accessibility, function and attractiveness.
The Ammy Awards were presented at the annual Alberta Visitor Information Providers Conference.
* Update: Award winner names corrected on September 19, 2013.
Communications, Tourism, Parks and Recreation
call toll free within Alberta dial 310-0000