Skip to content

High River

Updated: January 17, 2014

Flood Recovery

» High River DRP Office 710 Centre Street 1-888-671-1111)
   Monday through Friday; Hours: 10 am - 6 pm

» Estimated residential construction costs

» Funding formula to calculate DRP assistance

» Flood mitigation requirements

» Tips for finding a contractor

Temporary Housing

» Information on temporary housing in High River

Career and employment services

The McBride Career Group offers career and employment services to reidents affected by flooding. Job seekers can visit one of their centres to:

  • do their own research, independent career planning and job search inquiries with self-help tools and online resources
  • get assistance from a Career Coach with occupational research, using a computerized career planning tool, searching for jobs, developing a cover letter and resume, and learning interview skills.

Employers can contact the McBride Career Group to find out about:

  • participating in job fairs and job posting opportunities
  • collecting resumes and conducting on-the-spot interviews
  • being featured in a weekly local employer spotlight

Job seekers and employers can also get career and employment assistance from Alberta Government staff at a local Family and Community Services office:

  • High River | Tuesday mornings
  • Okotoks | Tuesday afternoons

Please call 403-297-2707 for an appointment.

Emergency Child Care Subsidies

High River families still evacuated from their homes now have more options to assist with their child care needs.

Regardless of family income, evacuated High River residents may be eligible for up to four months of subsidy at a home-based or licenced child care centre. You're eligible if:

  • Your primary residence is in High River and you are unable to live in it
  • Your family is registered as evacuees with Red Cross
  • Your children are 12 years of younger and are not yet attending Grade 7
  • In the case of home-based care, you are paying a non-custodial adult relative or friend to look after your children

Apply for High River Emergency Child Care subsidy:

Find available child care programs:

Drop-In Recreation Programs for Children

The free program for children ages 19 months to 12 years is available to evacuated High River families.

  • Age appropriate programming in a safe, nurturing environment
  • Supervision from qualified staff

Location: Cayley School, 904 Ross Avenue

Open 7:30-11:30 a.m. and 1-5 pm, 7 days a week

Register for a morning or afternoon session by email or call 403-652-8633.

Transit system for High River

High River residents, volunteers and workers have new transit options.

» Local bus routes in High River (PDF)

Health care in High River

A line of High River residents queues up outside the Welcome Centre.

High River hospital emergency department to reopen August 07, 2013News Release

The High River General Hospital Emergency Department will re-open August 8 at 8 a.m. 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in conjunction with acute care beds at the hospital, following its temporary closure due to the flood.

Not-fit-for-Habitation (NFH) Homes

If your home has been designated NFH, call the remediation hotline at 587-363-2894 to set up a meeting with Tervita.

Tervita, an environmental cleaning company, has been contracted to remediate NFH homes in High River.

Remediation experts will work to ensure homes are structurally sound and safe for return. They will:

  • Assess homes with structural engineers and health inspectors to determine the work needed to make the home safe for rehabilitation.
  • Meet with homeowners to discuss results.
  • Send a report to the Government of ALberta for approval.
  • Complete repairs and remove mold and bacteria.

Homeowners will need to work with their insurance company and the Disaster Recovery Program (DRP) to complete the interior work, like drywall, floors or painting.


Homeowners can choose who completes the remediation work, but the payment method differs:

  • If Tervita is chosen, the company will bill the Government of Alberta directly.
  • If a private contractor is chosen, you will pay the bill and submit your receipt to the Government of Alberta for refund through the DRP.

Getting permits for repairs

The Town of Okotoks and the Municipal District of Foothills will issue gas, plumbing, electrical and building permits on behalf of the Town of High River to speed the process for residents who require them. Residents can go to the Okotoks Town Office or the MD office at Mullen Trucking on Highway 2A, to get your permits. The High River office is scheduled to re-open on Monday, July 8 and will be issuing permits immediately.

The original colour coding used for re-entry was designed as a rapid assessment to help identify potential risks for residents returning to their homes. Once the re-entry process is complete, homeowners need to have an assessment completed by their insurance adjustors to identify necessary repairs.

Permits are required for any repairs where certified inspectors must approve that the work meets legislated safety and building codes. This includes electrical, plumbing, gas, and structural.

Primary contractors hired by residents are responsible for completing the permit application. Residents who are doing the remediation work themselves can apply for a general building permit.

The Town of High River is recruiting additional safety code and building inspectors to facilitate a quick process.

Note: It is also extremely important for residents to ensure the contractor working on your property is covered by Workers Compensation Board (WCB).

An easy way to protect yourself is by obtaining a Direct Employer Clearance Certificate (DECC). This self-service system allows you to electronically request and receive clearance certificates for your contractors and subcontractors to confirm they are already covered by WCB. DECCs are easy to obtain:

» Information about hiring a contractor

High River news

Audio updates

Assoc. Min. Rick Fraser announces volunteers now able to assist High River residents

Operations briefing on the updated situation of flood recovery and re-entry efforts in the Town of High River.

Associate Minister Rick Fraser updates the media on the staged return of residents to High River. June 29, 2013

Municipal Affairs Minister Doug Griffiths and Associate Minister Rick Fraser announce the details of the staged re-entry plan for High River. June 28