Skip to content

Before you return to your home

Updated: July 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Make sure it is safe to return to your neighbourhood and community. Find up-to-date information on affected communities

If you are unable to return home, here is information on temporary housing

Read about new policy directions for rebuilding and building flood hazard areas across the province.

Returning to Your Home

To those returning to your home, here are the first steps you need to take to ensure your family's safety and information on cleaning your home immediately following a flood.

Assessing and Repairing Your Home and Business

Find a home inspector to help you understand what needs to be and what can be repaired.

Here is information on finding and hiring a contractor.

Choose supports available to small business owners.

Financial Assistance

There are two types of funding available to Albertans affected by the floods:

  • Flood assistance payment was given to qualified Albertans who were evacuated from your homes for 7 days or more. This was paid as a pre-loaded debit card and is now available as a cheque. Click here for information about this money.
  • For immediate assistance to repair or rebuild your primary residence or business, apply for Disaster Recovery Program. This money funds uninsurable property damage and loss.

Contact your insurance agency, so they can assess how they may be able to help you.

Additional financial assistance, including Employment Insurance, is available for Albertans affected by the flood.

June 2013 Floods

  • Heavy rainfall can cause mudslides in the mountain regions

  • Highway flooding in the Crowsnest Pass

  • Flooding affecting a residential neighbourhood in Blairmore

  • Crews clean up flood damage in Blairmore

  • Please leave room for emergency crews to work

View our photos on Flickr