2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
Celebrate our Alberta athletes representing Team Canada in Sochi
9 Alberta athletes will compete for Team Canada at the Paralympic Winter Games from March 7-16.
56 Albertans participated in the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, making up 25% of Team Canada.
Supporting our athletes
Alberta is second only to Ontario in the number of athletes competing in Sochi. We are committed to supporting high performance sport by investing in athletes, coaches and sport programs.
- More than $100 million in the last decade to upgrade Olympic legacy facilities, keeping Alberta a leading training and competition destination in North America
- $900 thousand annually to Alberta Sport Development Centres, allowing emerging athletes and coaches to access high-level training services close to home
- More than $7.3 million annually to provincial sports associations
- Support for the Alberta Sport Connection, which provides grants to athletes and coaches, and Team Training and Selection funds to provincial sport associations
- Support for the Alberta Summer and Winter Games — more than 77,000 young Albertans have participated since 1976
Alberta's 2014 Paralympic athletes
Minister Starke wishes Alberta's Paralympic athletes good luck at the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi, and reminds us that it isn't what's missing, it's what's there.
Alberta's 2014 Olympic athletes
Ice Hockey — Men
Speed Skating Short Track
"Alberta's athletes are among the best in the world, especially when it comes to the Winter Olympics. We have a strong culture of winter sport that our government works hard to support, which is why we have invested in facilities, athletes and coaches from playground to podium." - Premier Alison Redford
Dr. Richard Starke, Minister of Tourism, Parks and Recreation, was in Banff to help send Team Canada off to Sochi.
Hundreds of sports fans packed the town of Banff on January 11 for a block party to help send Team Canada off on their journey to Russia. See the photos from Banff's Olympic block party.