2013 Disaster Recovery Programs
The Disaster Recovery Programs (DRP) provides financial assistance for uninsurable property damage, loss and other expenses.
How it works
Albertans whose houses and properties were affected by the 2013 floods can apply to the Disaster Recovery Program (DRP) to cover the cost of uninsurable loss.
Albertans who experienced flood damage in flood fringes can use DRP funds to install flood mitigation measures. Those who undertake approved measures are eligible to receive DRP funds for any future flood that exceeds the 1-in-100 year flood event criteria.
Funds available through the DRP will cover the costs of returning essential property to the condition it was in before the disaster happened. These funds apply to:
- not-for-profit organizations
- condo associations
- agricultural producers
- small businesses (20 or less full-time employees)
Four key changes may affect DRP clients:
- Older or vintage homes
- DRP may reassess eligibility for older homes or homes with pre-existing structural issues
- These homes may be re-assessed if pre-existing structural issues were undetectable and therefore exposed by the effects of the floods
- DRP is changing funding calculations for applicants who received a partial payment from their insurer, in most cases due to damage caused by sewer back-up
- This new policy may increase the amount of funding available for eligible applicants
- Small businesses and non-profit organizations previously deemed ineligible by DRP can contact the program to discuss reassessment
- Insurance deductibles are now DRP-eligible for small businesses and non-profit organizations
- All files are being reviewed for additional funding
- Any discrepancies identified by residents will be reviewed by DRP staff
- If further review is required, applications for appeal are available online and at local DRP offices
For more information, contact DRP staff directly.
Applications and forms
Mail or visit
The Calgary and High River DRP Offices will be closed July 31 and August 1.
High River DRP Office
124-4 Ave SW
10 am - 4:30 pm, weekdays
Calgary DRP Office
Willowglen Business Park, 803 Manning Road NE
8:30 am - 4:30 pm, weekdays